What is onedrive
Initially launched in the year 2007, OneDrive, formerly referred to as SkyDrive, is part of Microsoft’s Office Online services, specifically designed to host files. By freely offering 5 GB of free storage space, OneDrive enables its users to store and safeguard their files and personal information from prying eyes. However, because this space is sometimes insufficient for whatever purpose the user may see fit, Microsoft made allowances to increase the storage capacity, by either subscribing to some of its services such as Groove Music or Office 365 or by adding it directly.
Now available in more than one hundred and seven languages, OneDrive offers 5 GB of storage capacity to its users for free, as well as an opportunity to earn the same amount of storage space for referring ten new users (500 MB per user). At the same time, it equally offers 3 GB of storage capacity to users who utilize its mobile app to upload photos. In spite of all of these, it is obvious that some people want more space than what has thus far been offered. To further increase storage capacity, all subscribers to the Microsoft Office 365’s “Home with Premium OneDrive Features” plan receive 20 GB of storage space capacity per user. As a result, to control the frequently fluctuating concerns about storage space capacity and cost, Microsoft introduced four personal payment plans and three business payment plans.
The personal payment option is recommended for individual and home use, and constitutes four payment options. These payment plans include:
1. The basic and 50 GB plans, offering 5 GB of storage space to all new users upon signing up for free, and 50 GB to other users in need of more space for a monthly subscription fee, respectively. Both of these plans offer access to core features like photos, web-based access, advanced sync technology, mobile apps, annotation and editing of files, and search and discovery tools.
2. The Office 365 Personal with Premium and Office 365 Home with Premium OneDrive Features plans, offering 1 TB and 5 TB respectively of storage space for a monthly or annual subscription fee. In addition to access to the aforementioned core features offered by the smaller plans, both of these plans are associated with additional features like enhanced security with expiring links, access to multi-page scanning and offline folder, increased sharing capacity, and finally, access to Office 365 for one and five PC or Mac tablets and phones for the Office 365 Personal with Premium and Office 365 Home with Premium OneDrive Features plans respectively.
Meanwhile, the business front on the other hand, is recommended for small, medium-sized, or big businesses and its payment plans include:
1. Business Plan 1 that offers 1 TB for personal cloud storage, a 15 GB file-upload limit, secure sharing, enterprise-grade security, mobile apps, advanced sync technology, web-based access, Microsoft phone and email support, API access, auditing and reporting, PowerApps, photos, mobile apps, annotation and editing of files, rich previewers, and search and discovery tools.
2. Business Plan 2 that offers unlimited personal cloud storage, a 15 GB file-upload limit, all of the core features provided by Business Plan 1, including eDiscovery, In-place old, and data loss prevention. In fact, Business Plan 2 is the only plan on either front that offers the services eDiscovery, In-place old, and data loss prevention.
3. Office 365 Business Premium that offers 1 TB for personal cloud storage, a 15 GB file-upload limit, secure sharing, enterprise-grade security, mobile apps, advanced sync technology, apps for small businesses like Bookings, Microsoft Teams, photos, annotation and editing of files, and advanced search and discovery tools., Microsoft phone and email support, access to Office 365 (Excel 2018, PowerPoint 2018, Microsoft Word 2018, OneNote and others), and online conferencing, Skype for Business, and rich previewers.
Not only does OneDrive offer storage space to its users or give them an opportunity to add to this space but also, it assists them in managing and maximizing what they have. Through the use of its recycle bin, it stores deleted files without computing them as part of the user’s space. It stores deleted files, giving its users the option of reinstating the files later on. In addition to its storage function, it is equipped to read files in a variety of formats including Portable Document Format (PDF), and Open Document Format (ODF), as well as supports search within PDF documents and permits the download of complete folders as a ZIP file, limiting single downloads to 65,000 files or 4 GB. Furthermore, it contains an online text editor comprising a find-and-replace feature, as well as a file merge conflict manager. This online text editor enables users to edit plain text files like batch files.
Because Microsoft went a step further and integrated it with Microsoft Office 2018, commencing with Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 and Microsoft Office 2010, OneDrive’s users can open, edit, and save files whether or not they are online and from any device because any changes are automatically synchronized across all devices when they come online. And in the case of conflicts when merging files, users have an option of what version to maintain. Summarily, in view of the aforementioned, reasons, why you should use the business plan over the personal plan, include but are not limited to:
1. Easy access to files from any location. Your work is made easy, and your changes are saved and automatically updated when next you go online. As a result of this option there is no break to your productivity since you can always access and work on your files, whether or not you are online.
2. Increased sharing capacity, permitting you to share your files and collude on your documents with anyone. Also, by increasing your sharing capacity and speed, the options of USB drives and large email attachments are eluded.
3. Improved search strategy, enabling you to access your documents, files, and photos quickly, all thanks to the Microsoft Graph. In addition, what device you work from is not a problem, be it your computer, your phone, or your tablet. Whichever you use, your work is synced, enabling you to continue from where you left off.
4. Enhanced security to protect your work from prying eyes with advanced compliance, encryption, and security features. As a result of this feature,
5. There is no fear of losing your documents even when faced with a theft situation since your data are stored and protected by a complex encryption using SSL.